Saturday, November 25, 2006

PUBLISHING RIGHTS" and "PUBLISHING

"PUBLISHING RIGHTS" and "PUBLISHING"

What is the story about SOME CRY ABOUT IN HAVING TO sign over rights to works produced BY THEM for publication?

e.g.#1 "Hi there My names *** and I'm really interested in your ad. I'm a new writer, but have been writing lots of poetry. I have no question in my mind about you liking my works, but what I was interested in was the signing over my rights to my works. ***"

#2 "why should I as an author sign over my rights to you (as a publisher)
"IF YOU PUBLISH MY WORK"?" ?

By nature of the legal definitions relating to publishers or publishing, to publish an author's work for commercial exploitation, sale, distribution, etc., or even to duplicate that work for free publication, reproduction, and distribution etc., is to 1. have the means to do so, and 2. have the legal right to do so, which requires possession of the rights to do so.

"Does anyone miss that last point?" (maybe I shouldn't try to continue just yet), but for if someone doesn't understand that issue maybe they shouldn't try, nor mention issues they raise about "giving up" "rights" in getting published as it is sort of looking in the mouth of a gift horse for some (and perhaps they have no business trying some and themselves so ).

IT IS A CONTRADICTION: For if they have no interest in assigning their legal rights in getting published they should not try to get PUBLISHED, FOR ANY PUBLISHER WHO PUBLISHS COMMERCIALLY WITHOUT FIRST OBTAINING THE LEGAL RIGHTS TO DO SO MIGHT BE JUST AS INSANE IF NOT MORE TO DO SO.

If AUTHORS intend applying themselves for some patron's good favors, patrons then can be required to do as they may, where the author is not, and with whom as PATRONS said authors can contend with ,instead of the publishers (me) but with whom the publishers (ME) can require of the PATRONS what publishers may as if they (the publishers) were printers.

SO PLEASE DON'T ASK A QUESTION LIKE THAT!

No comments: